OpenSea Review – NFT Marketplace 2023
OpenSea NFT marketplace is a renowned decentralized marketplace that facilitates the buying, selling, and trading of NFTs (non-fungible tokens). Our OpenSea review provides an in-depth analysis of the arguably biggest NFT marketplace.
Originally dubbed the “eBay for CryptoKitties,” OpenSea has evolved to encompass various digital assets, from art pieces and game items to music and domain names.
In this article, we are going to dive deeper and analyze:
- Why is OpenSea considered as a premier NFT marketplace?
- Who are the platform’s users?
- Why is the OpenSea interface so likable, and what are its specifics?
- How do you buy digital assets among millions of NFTs in multiple categories?
- And what are the major problems of this platform?
Table of content
Table of content
- OpenSea NFT Marketplace Overview
- Is OpenSea NFT Platform Secure?
- Platform Features
- Why is OpenSea The Leading NFT Marketplace?
- Is OpenSea Safe?
- Exploring NFTs on OpenSea
- Managing Your Listed Assets
- OpenSea NFT Marketplace Sales and Gas Fees
- OpenSea NFT Platform Updates
- NFT Drops and Social Media
- OpenSea Mobile App
- OpenSea for Blockchain Games
- OpenSea and Crypto Wallets
- Future Aims
OpenSea NFT Marketplace Overview
Founded in 2017 by programmers Alex Atallah and Devin Finzer, OpenSea is one of the oldest and largest NFT marketplaces globally.
With over one million registered users and a vast selection of millions of NFTs available for purchase, OpenSea has established itself as a premier platform in the crypto industry.
So, what are its strongest and weakest sides?
User-friendly interface. OpenSea prides itself on its user-friendly interface, making it accessible to NFT beginners who wish to enter the market, create NFTs, and engage in trading.
Variety. The platform offers various digital assets across various categories, allowing users to explore and acquire items of interest.
Challenges and Concerns
Fraud. The platform acknowledges that approximately 80% of the listed NFTs are fake, posing a risk to collectors.
This issue highlights the inherent challenges of a decentralized market like crypto and NFTs, where victims of fraudulent products often have limited recourse.
Creators' Opportunities and Royalties
Despite this concern, OpenSea provides a platform for users to list NFTs they have created or purchased elsewhere, including those acquired from blockchain games.
Creators can earn up to 10% royalties on secondary sales, incentivizing the production and sale of unique digital assets.
Punters also might be interested in our article on NFT betting.
❓ What is the NFT marketplace?
An NFT marketplace serves as a digital platform where individuals can purchase, sell, and exchange non-fungible tokens (NFTs), distinct digital assets representing ownership of unique digital or physical items, such as artwork, music, collectibles, or virtual real estate.
❓ How to sell NFT on OpenSea?
To sell an NFT on OpenSea, you need to create an account and connect your digital wallet. Once you have done that, you can list your NFT for sale by uploading it to the platform and setting the price for which you want to sell it. You can also add any other details you want, such as royalties for future sales.
❓ When did OpenSea launch?
OpenSea was launched in 2017.
❓ How many NFT marketplaces are there?
The number of NFT marketplaces is continually evolving, but there are currently hundreds of NFT marketplaces available, each catering to various types of digital assets and collectibles. Some of the most popular ones besides OpenSea include Rarible, SuperRare, and NBA Top Shot.
❓ Where are OpenSea NFTs stored?
OpenSea stores NFT metadata off-chain, typically on web servers or cloud storage solutions. This metadata includes information about the NFT, such as its name, description, and external links. The actual NFT tokens, usually ERC-721 or ERC-1155 tokens on the Ethereum blockchain, are stored on the blockchain.
❓ What is the largest NFT marketplace?
OpenSea platform is regarded as the biggest NFT marketplace in the cryptocurrency world. It has accumulated a large user base and has a significant portion of the NFT market. However, it's essential to remember that the NFT ecosystem is constantly evolving, and the position of the leading marketplace may change.
❓ What is the best wallet for OpenSea?
The best wallet for OpenSea depends on your preferences and needs. MetaMask, Trust Wallet, and Coinbase Wallet are popular for user-friendliness, while Fortmatic, Portis, Torus, Bitski, and WalletConnect offer unique features and integration options.
Is OpenSea NFT Platform Secure?
While OpenSea has not experienced any platform hacks, it did encounter a security incident in May 2022.
Malicious links flooded OpenSea's Discord, with scammers attempting to promote a fake NFT that redirected users to a phishing site, as reported by Fortune.
This NFT platform is a reputable and substantial marketplace for creators and newcomers alike.
Here are the key features the OpenSea platform is well-known for:
- Reputation: OpenSea is a reputable and substantial marketplace for creators and newcomers.
- Mobile Accessibility: The mobile app is available for Android and Apple devices, enhancing accessibility and convenience.
- Asset Security: OpenSea operates on the Ethereum blockchain, ensuring that users maintain ownership of their assets.
- Smart Contracts: Smart contracts enable interactions without the need to relinquish custody of assets.
- Cryptocurrency Support: OpenSea support various cryptocurrencies, including ETH and others, facilitating transactions on the platform.
- Community Engagement: The platform fosters an active community of creators and enthusiasts, providing a vibrant ecosystem for networking and collaboration.
Why is OpenSea The Leading NFT Marketplace?
There are some reasons behind OpenSea's prominence as the leading NFT marketplace, as the platform features its unique ability to accept over 150 different tokens.
So, OpenSea offers a versatile platform for NFT trading and creation. There is how:
Accepting Over 150 Different Tokens
OpenSea is widely recognized as the leading NFT marketplace, offering a wide range of options for trading and creating NFTs.
One of its notable features is the ability to accept over 150 tokens, including UNI, MANA, REVV, and WHALE.
Gemini Earn: Earn Up to 7.4% Interest
Gemini, another popular platform, stands out for its Gemini Earn program. Users can earn up to 7.4% interest on specific cryptocurrency balances.
While Gemini offers a diverse selection of cryptocurrencies for exchange, it does not include some top-ranking tokens like Cardano and Solana.
Is OpenSea Safe?
While it is a legitimate NFT marketplace, exercising caution when browsing listings is important.
OpenSea estimates that around 80% of NFTs for sale are fraudulent. The platform is actively addressing this issue, but users should still carefully review listings and ownership history and verify authenticity.
Verified accounts on OpenSea have an authenticity signal in the form of a blue check mark.
Exploring NFTs on OpenSea
When browsing through OpenSea, users can explore various categories of NFTs. These categories encompass a range of options, and OpenSea supports ERC-721 and ERC-1155 tokens.
Users can determine the type of token associated with each listing by checking the Details page.
Token Standards: ERC-1155 and KIP37
OpenSea also provides different token standards, including ERC-1155 tokens, known as KIP37 on Klaytn.
These tokens are commonly used for items like potions and characters in blockchain games. On Solana, these tokens are called Editions.
Purchasing NFTs on OpenSea
Users can purchase various NFT assets on this well-established platform. You can choose from NFT art pieces, music, games, and more.
To purchase an NFT on OpenSea, follow these steps:
- Browse through the available options.
- Select the desired NFT.
- Place a bid or choose the “Buy Now” option.
- Complete the transaction.
Managing Your Listed Assets
If you're considering selling an NFT on OpenSea, the platform offers an intuitive way to manage your listed assets.
By accessing your profile page and selecting the Activity tab, you can conveniently view all your listed NFTs.
This feature streamlines tracking your listings, monitoring their performance, and making necessary adjustments to optimize your NFT selling experience.
It's a valuable tool for seasoned sellers and newcomers looking to navigate the world of digital collectibles and art.
OpenSea NFT Marketplace Sales and Gas Fees
OpenSea provides multiple sale methods, allowing sellers to choose the most suitable option for their NFTs.
It's important to note that transactions on OpenSea are on-chain, meaning that users must pay gas fees on the Ethereum blockchain when trading NFTs.
Sale Methods on OpenSea
OpenSea offers several sale methods for buying and selling NFTs:
- Fixed Price Listing: Sellers can set a fixed price for their NFTs, allowing buyers to purchase them immediately at the listed price.
- Auction: Auctions enable sellers to set a starting bid and duration for their NFT listings. Buyers can place bids, and the highest bidder at the end of the auction wins the NFT.
- Bundle Sales: Sellers can group multiple NFTs into bundles and sell them as a package. This is a great way to showcase related or complementary NFTs.
- Reserve Price: Sellers can set a minimum price (reserve) for their auctions. If the bidding doesn't reach this minimum, the NFT won't be sold.
Gas fees are a part of blockchain transactions, including those on OpenSea.
Here's what you need to know:
Gas fees are the charges associated with processing transactions on the Ethereum blockchain, which OpenSea uses. They cover the cost of computational work needed to execute transactions.
These fees vary depending on network congestion. During peak times, fees can be higher, while they may be lower during less busy periods.
You'll need an Ethereum wallet to interact with OpenSea. Different wallets may offer varying options for setting gas fees.
Some wallets allow you to prioritize speed (higher fees for faster transactions) or cost savings (lower fees but potentially slower transactions).
Before confirming a transaction on OpenSea, you can usually see an estimate of the gas fee you'll pay. This helps you decide if you're comfortable with the cost before proceeding.
Keep an eye on the Ethereum network status and gas fee trends to decide when to buy or sell NFTs.
OpenSea NFT Platform Updates
To stay updated with the latest NFT drops, new site features, team updates, trends, and news on upcoming decentralized applications, users can subscribe to OpenSea's monthly newsletter called The Tide.
To sign up, simply visit opensea.io/blog/newsletter and enter your email address.
NFT drops can occur sporadically, and their frequency largely depends on the creators. Following an NFT marketplace's social media accounts and subscribing to newsletters can help users stay informed.
OpenSea also maintains a Twitter account with 1.7 million followers and a Discord server with 215k members.
OpenSea Mobile App
For convenience, OpenSea offers a mobile app for Android and Apple devices. It allows users to make NFT purchases, view profiles, search for new NFTs, access collections and stats, and more.
The app has received positive ratings, with 4.7 stars on the App Store and four stars on the Google Play Store.
OpenSea for Blockchain Games
OpenSea plays a significant role in blockchain games, offering a marketplace where players, collectors, and developers can buy, sell, and trade in-game assets and items as non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
Here's more information on how OpenSea is involved in blockchain gaming:
- In-game items as NFTs
OpenSea allows blockchain game developers to tokenize in-game assets, turning them into NFTs. This means players own digital items and can trade them on the marketplace.
- Virtual Real Estate
Some blockchain games offer virtual real estate, particularly virtual worlds and metaverse platforms. OpenSea is a hub for trading virtual land parcels and properties in these games.
- Player-to-Player Trade
Players can buy, sell, or trade their in-game items directly with other players on OpenSea. This allows gamers to profit from their in-game achievements and investments.
Many blockchain games feature collectible cards, characters, and heroes as NFTs. OpenSea is a popular platform for collectors to acquire and trade these digital collectibles.
OpenSea is not limited to a single blockchain. It supports NFTs from various blockchains, including Ethereum, Polygon (formerly Matic), Flow, and others.
This interoperability helps expand the reach of blockchain games to a wider audience.
- Game Development
For game developers, OpenSea provides a platform to monetize their creations. They can sell limited-edition items, character skins, or exclusive content as NFTs on the marketplace.
- Gaming Community
OpenSea has a thriving community of blockchain gamers, collectors, and enthusiasts. Users can join discussions, follow their favorite games, and participate in community events related to blockchain gaming.
- Secondary Markets
Players can find rare and valuable in-game items on OpenSea's secondary market, allowing them to access items that may be difficult to obtain within the game itself.
Some individuals invest in blockchain gaming assets with the hope of their value appreciating over time. OpenSea is a platform where such investments can be made and tracked.
OpenSea provides detailed information about the history and ownership of NFTs, offering transparency and provenance that traditional in-game item trading lacks.
Betting enthusiasts are welcome to explore best blockchain betting sites.
OpenSea and Crypto Wallets
Marketplace OpenSea primarily operates on the Ethereum blockchain, so it's compatible with Ethereum-compatible wallets.
Here are some popular crypto wallets you can use with OpenSea:
- MetaMask: It is one of the most widely used Ethereum wallets and is available as a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, and other browsers. It's user-friendly and provides easy integration with OpenSea.
- Trust Wallet: Trust Wallet is a mobile wallet for Android and iOS devices. It offers a user-friendly interface and supports Ethereum and various other blockchains.
- Coinbase Wallet: This mobile wallet is offered by Coinbase and is available for Android and iOS devices. It's easy to use and integrates well with OpenSea.
- Fortmatic: Fortmatic is a user-friendly Ethereum wallet allowing easy integration with decentralized applications (dApps) like OpenSea. It's known for its simple onboarding process.
- Portis: Portis is a non-custodial wallet focusing on simplicity and accessibility. It's available as a browser extension and can be used with OpenSea.
- Torus: This is another user-friendly wallet solution that provides a seamless experience for Ethereum users. It can be used for OpenSea and other apps.
- Bitski: Offers a developer-friendly wallet solution with a simple user interface. It's suitable for those who want to integrate their wallet into various applications, including OpenSea.
- WalletConnect: This is not a standalone wallet but a protocol allowing you to securely connect existing wallets like MetaMask or Trust Wallet to OpenSea and other apps.
OpenSea continues to expand its offerings, supporting the Klaytn chain and the Ethereum layer-2 protocol Polygon (MATIC), aiming to become a cross-chain marketplace.
Additionally, OpenSea market is currently in beta testing for Solana NFT trading.
NFT marketplace OpenSea is the premier and largest platform for NFT trading and creation. Emerging creators may face challenges in gaining visibility amid the vast listings.
Nevertheless, OpenSea serves as an excellent entry point into NFTs and cryptocurrency. It boasts no minimum account requirements, accommodates multiple cryptocurrencies, and supports diverse file formats.
Furthermore, numerous blockchain games rely on the OpenSea NFT marketplace. While maintaining a trusted and reputable status, the crypto landscape warrants caution when navigating listings.
Bookmakers Reviews Expert